Do you find yourself wincing in pain after a long workday? Hunching over the computer will do that to you.
What about playing golf or tennis? Practicing yoga? Is your favorite recreational activity straining your muscles?
Finding upper back pain relief may be at the top of your list for your quality of life. After all, chronic pain can slow you down in all kinds of ways.
In fact, upper back pain affects every age is the leading contributor to disability worldwide.
If your pain is affecting your quality of life, i.e., is severe and unrelenting, it may be time to seek upper back pain relief through a chiropractor.
Let’s break down what upper back pain is and how chiropractic care can give you relief, naturally.
What Is Upper Back Pain?
You may feel upper back pain anywhere between the base of your neck to the bottom of your ribcage.
It can originate in several areas in the thoracic spine such as the 12 bones attached to the ribcage, the discs separating each vertebra, and the muscles surrounding the joints.
It’s different for everyone. Whether dull and achy or sharp and burning. Everyone’s upper back pain is unique to their body and circumstances. Your chiropractor will work with you to create a personalized treatment.
Here are some typical causes of upper back pain.
Common Upper Back Pain Causes
- Poor posture — “Stand up straight” is more than a parental admonishment. It turns out slumping when you sit or stand puts stress on your vertebrae because it’s unnatural. Your spine is designed a certain way and when you adopt habits like slumping over a computer for hours every day, your head juts out funny and puts unneeded stress on your neck, shoulders, and upper back muscles.
- Injury — Slip and falls, car accidents and other injuries can lead to fractures, nerve damage, and other pain.
- Overuse — Such repetitive motions are usually work-related. Typing, dog grooming, massage, and other jobs can lead to chronic pain.
- Pinched nerve
- Herniated disc
35 million Americans seek chiropractic care every year because it’s simple and effective!
In fact, research shows combining chiropractic care with traditional medicine alleviates pain faster than medical care alone.
Ready to add your name to the list?
Natural Pain Relief
A chiropractor will look at your musculoskeletal system as a whole, treating the cause of your upper back pain at the source.
By focusing on the body’s natural ability to heal itself, chiropractors use their hands to apply force to joints in the spine, moving them for better alignment and alleviating pain.
This is a great alternative for those who are looking to abstain from addicting pain medications and costly surgical procedures.
How to Treat Upper Back Pain
Chiropractic care doesn’t hurt. It is safe, non-invasive, and with regular sessions, your muscles will adjust.
Dr. McQuaite in Doylestown, Pa. uses an x-ray to assess your upper back pain. He discusses your medical history with you and creates a treatment plan that takes into account any underlying conditions or past injuries that may impact your recovery.
Standard techniques for upper back pain relief are:
- Spinal adjustments — chiropractors use their hands to apply force to joints in the upper back to correct misalignment, release stress, and improve range of motion.
- Soft tissue therapy — a massage that promotes blood circulation and relaxes the muscles in the upper back to reduce inflammation and pain. Massage combined with chiropractic care is an excellent one/two punch.
- Strength training — is important because it builds strength and improves flexibility. This can help prevent upper back pain.
Upper Back Pain Doesn’t Have To Be Permanent
Regular chiropractic adjustments will alleviate your upper back pain and improve your quality of life for years to come.
If you’re in the Doylestown area, schedule an appointment with Bucks County’s best chiropractor to receive exceptional chiropractic care and relieve your pain, naturally.